For Returning Big Sib Applicants:
We are delighted that you have decided to re-apply to the Big Sib program for the 2017-2018 school year! Before you start filling out your application, we would like to take this time to remind you that not all of you will be able to be Big Sibs again next year. We have a lot of applicants and very little space – this is still a very selective process.
Remember that Big Sibs are expected to maintain a minimum of an 85 average, and not have a consistent pattern of lateness and/or cuts. In addition, applicants should have no serious, recent record of academic or disciplinary infractions.
As “veteran” Big Sibs, you will be expected to:
- Be a role model not only to your Little Sibs, but also to the "rookie" Big Sibs.
- Be jolly, sincere, helpful, and most importantly, kind.
- Be respectful to all students, faculty, and parents of Little Sibs.
- Advise the “rookie” Big Sibs on how to be the best Big Sibs that they can be. This includes appropriately acknowledging both positive and negative behaviors.
- Exercise the expertise and talent that we know you have gained this past year.
You may find the application for Returning Big Sibs here.
On that note, many of you will be applying to be Homeroom Leaders. Please be aware that being a Homeroom Leader is an added responsibility and time commitment, and it is a serious position. Homeroom leaders are responsible for:
- Writing evaluations for the Big Sibs in their homeroom twice a term and sending them to the Big Sib Chairs.
- Attending EVERY homeroom.
- Leading their respective homeroom at Camp Stuy, planning homeroom activities, and making sure the schedule runs smoothly and the events happen as planned.
- Working closely with the Big Sib Chairs regarding events and problems.
- Reporting any problems with a Little Sib, a fellow Big Sib, or a homeroom teacher to the Big Sib Chairs.
If you are fully prepared to assume the added responsibilities that come with the job of Homeroom leader, please read the following instructions.
- Fill out the Homeroom Leader section at the end of the Returning Big Sib application (once again you can find it here).
- If you did not apply to be a Big Sib Chair, ask your current homeroom leader to submit a recommendation here.
Good luck with your applications, which are due on Sunday, April 12, 2017 by 11:59 PM. We thank you for all of the work you put in as a Big Sib and we hope to see many of you back for another year! As always, feel free to contact us with any questions you may have!
The Big Sib Chairs
Chloe Delfau Leila Storkamp
Olivia Kusio Kevin Li
Benjamin Zhang Charlotte Ruhl
Jean Joun Max Onderdonk
Liam Elkind Aren Tucker
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org